Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Anouncement's. / Re: WE ARE BACK!
« Last post by Hanshi on March 04, 2024, 12:13:00 PM »
Now we will see if anyone bothers to post.
Suggestion Box / Re: Something Stupid
« Last post by Hanshi on March 04, 2024, 12:11:45 PM »
In my youth a few of my friends and I - we grew up like the little rascals - did so many stupid, careless and dangerous things it's a miracle we lived to adulthood.  I may, at some time, mention a few such as having to outrun a train, diamondback carelesssness and more.  But for now here is one about (fittingly) black powder.

My neighborhood was rural with dirt roads and modest farming - vegetables, chickens, hogs, goats and more.  Yes, we sorta ran wild and always found some interesting trouble to get into.
There was a can of Dupont black powder (not sure why) in the house that I, on occasion, would...AHEM!, play with.  It so happened that I found a hole (den) that probably at some point served as home for some critter.  I was aware there was usually a back door for escape used by many burrowing critters but didn't want to waste time searching for it.  I poured a modest dollop into the hole and poured a trail of powder away from it for safety.  Striking a match I had barely touched the ground when the whold thing went off.  I was much too stupid to understand that the angled hole would act like a cannon and that a powder trail of 12" wouldn't allow time to get out of the way.

I lost both eyebrows and a bit of hair on my forehead.  Other than that I was fine with only a mild burn on my hand. 

Now, friends, that wasn't an accident, that was an unabashed STUPID!
Anouncement's. / WE ARE BACK!
« Last post by flintboomer on March 03, 2024, 07:36:25 PM »
Thank Goodness we have the site back.
 flwa flwa flwa
Your Favorite Rifle / Re: Have you changed your favorite?
« Last post by Red Badger on March 03, 2024, 06:41:21 PM »
I'm sure Dryball would excuse you since you made a good profit. The important question is, will Di forgive you?

I am sure she did, She is there at Rondy Everlasting, with her son, Dryball, Dandjofaz, and other's who have blazed that trail before us and have no more need of material objects....

Also I have seen this gentleman over the past several months as I sold the rifle at Wol-A-Roc' last fall... His Grandson and Daughter are using it in competitions so I think it will actual see more use than I could give it as the LOP was like 9 or 10 and mine is 14 to 15.... Although it was fun to shoot it one handed and hit the gong 9 times out of 10...
« Last post by Red Badger on March 03, 2024, 06:21:10 PM »
In the early 60's, I did something really stupid....

But I am not gonna tell you all.... :)   :mini-devil-28492:
« Last post by Fredredcj on March 02, 2024, 09:43:41 PM »
Ive done so many stupid things my fingers would surely wear out before typing a small percentage.
Since being burned was mentioned guess I’ll go that route. When I was a teenager I made a habit of throwing kerosene in the wood burner. If the fire would be low I would add a little wood then  about enough kerosene to fill a paint aerosol can about 1/3. When I would close the doors I then opened the drafts it usually lit back up. On rare occasions if it didn't I would roll up a small piece of paper and slide it through the draft. One morning it didn't light up within a few minutes so I thought I would open it and rebuild the fire. While opening the doors the rush of air ignited the fire. I bounced across the room backwards ending up against the opposing wall with first - third degree burns on my face and no eyebrows. Thank goodness there was a fireproof mat on the floor otherwise the house surely would have burnt down. Luckily the scaring on my nose is so faint its pretty much non existent. 
« Last post by Hanshi on February 09, 2024, 01:40:08 PM »
So I let my brother shoot it.  Then my father.  My kids.  My wife.  Nobody misses with it!!! 

I betcha I could miss with it!
« Last post by Patocazador on February 06, 2024, 12:30:23 PM »
I second that motion. Post a photo or 10 lashes.  whipping
« Last post by Hanshi on February 06, 2024, 11:25:48 AM »
Chris, you are hereby ordered to post photos of this rifle or your favorite barstool will be sold!  This by order of the Red Badger council on proper posting etiquette.

Yep, I came up the same way as you describe and setting priorities is essential.  And I had the same reservations about taking a very nice rifle into the woods where it might get scratched and nicked.  But I took my pets into the woods countless times for years regardless, and they suffered no worse than they would have being handled around the house or at the range.  I wouldn't want a rifle that I was afraid to shoot and/or hunt with.  True, I no longer hunt but my pets still look spiffy.

Oh, and since you chose a .45 it will serve well for any job; especially putting deer in your freezer.   hntr chrrs
« Last post by ChrisHarris on February 06, 2024, 02:54:17 AM »
My favorite is still a .45 caliber TC Hawken that I've dubbed "The Laser".  I pieced it together from parts.  It took almost 4yrs to get everything I wanted.  Not because of funds.  I was searching for a nice stock.

I found a 15/16"  Sharron Barrel for sale back around 2011 or 2012.  It was a drop-in for the Hawken and it was still unfired.  It's a slow twist for round balls.  I think it's 1:66 ratio.  I cleaned all the "cosmoline" substance out of it.  Took forever as the stuff had caked up and dried over the years. 

I still needed a nice stock.  I saved up $500 and kept it in the sock drawer for 3 or 4 years.  I was searching for one with fancy tiger striping.  I think TC may have made limited numbers with the fancy wood stocks and sold them for higher prices, but I'm not sure.  I finally found one and made the purchase.   So I had a barrel and a stock, but no lock.  A few weeks later I found a Davis Deer Slayer for sale.  That was what I wanted.

I took the whole mess to a local guy who was highly rated.  I gave him mostly free reigns.  I asked him to make it look nice and make sure it was bedded straight.  He stripped off the shiny factory finish on the stock and gave it an oil rubbed finish instead.  He also removed and shaped a good bit of material around the grip because I have small hands.

I've never taken it into the woods.  I was embarrassed for a few years.  I'm a very practical guy.  I grew up poor and my dad didn't have anything that he didn't use.  There was no "collection" of anything around our house, except a few coffee tins full of nuts n bolts in the garage. Everything got used or sold for something that could be used.  So to have, what I thought was a very fancy rifle, and not use it for hunting was a mental struggle for a while.

It shoots straight and true.  At first, I thought maybe it was just me.  I rarely brag, but I'm a helluva good shot with most any rifle.  So I let my brother shoot it.  Then my father.  My kids.  My wife.  Nobody misses with it!!! 

It's just so pretty though.  I can't bring myself to risk scratching it in the woods.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10